Some time ago, the president of the American Medical Association was addressing a large group of heart specialists in New York City: He began his speech with these words, "America's greatest need is for a new lifestyle."
Even a casual look at the health habits of a majority of Americans indicates that these words are indeed true. Degenerative diseases—those directly related to faulty habit patterns—are on the rise. Heart disease, cancer, and diabetes are becoming epidemic in the United States.
There is a close relationship between our physical and spiritual dimensions. God is deeply interested in our physical health. In fact, He declares, "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers." III John 2.
The book of Revelation clearly teaches that the message of physical health is an intimate part of God's last day message for the world.
1. What specific instruction does God give in Revelation 14:7 that actually includes physical health?
MY BIBLE SAYS: " saying with a loud voice..."Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.' "
2. How do we give glory to God? Does giving glory to God does anything to do with our physical health habits?1 Corinthians 6:19.20:10:31.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's. . . ." "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."
The Christian life involves the whole man. It includes the entire surrender of the fleshly desires and lusts to God. Holiness is wholeness for God.
3. What earnest appeal does the Apostle Paul make regarding our bodies? Romans 12:1.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service."
4. Will the group awaiting Jesus surrender all their physical habits to Him?! Thessalonians 5:23.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of the Lord."
5 What marvelous promise did God give to the Israelites regarding health? May we claim the same promise? Exodus 1526.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "And said, 'If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you."
6. What does the Bible teach about the use of intoxicating drinks and alcoholic beverages? Proverbs 20:1; 23:29-33.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "Wine is a mocker, intoxicating drink arouses brawling, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise."
"Who has woe? Who has sorrow? : . : Who has redness of eyes? Those who linger long at the wine, those who go in search of mixed wine: Do not look on the wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it swirls around smoothly; at the last it bites like a serpent, and stings like a viper. Your eyes will see strange things, and your heart will utter perverse things."
Some Christians drink moderately and see little harm in it. But the Bible clearly teaches that "wine is a mocker." It deceives you. Is the person who drinks moderately capable of discerning when he has drunk too much?
Dr. Melvin Knisley of the University of South Carolina has clearly demonstrated that even moderate drinking destroys thousands of brain cells. Then, the social drinker has a seriously detrimental effect on others by encouraging others to drink.
Dr. Knisley's advice is sound. He unashamedly says, "The only way to deal with alcohol is to quit it cold."
7. How strong is God's regard for our body temple? What clear warning does He give that applies to those who defile their bodies by alcohol, drugs, or tobacco? I Corinthians 3:16, 17.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are."
The original diet given to man by God consisted of fruits, nuts, grains and vegetables (Genesis 1:29; 2:16; 3:18, /9). God allowed flesh foods after the flood to meet the food shortage emergency. It resulted in a shorter life span.
8. How many classes of animals did Noah bring into the ark? Genesis 7:2, 3.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, . . . two each of animals that are unclean, . : . Also seven each of birds of the air, . . : to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth:"
9. How can you tell if an animal is clean or unclean? Leviticus. 11:1-3,
MY BIBLE SAYS: ". . . 'These are the animals which you may eat . . . whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves and chewing the cud—that you may eat.' "
10. What does God say regarding pork and all its products? Leviticus 11:7, 8.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "And the swine, though it divides the hoof, : . . yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. Their flesh you shall not eat, . . . They are unclean to you."
11. What general principles does God give regarding seafood? Leviticus 11:9.
MY BIBLE SAYS: ": . . Whatever in the water has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers—that you may eat:"
God's Word declares that all shellfish, such as crabs, clams, oysters, shrimp, lobsters, are scavengers. They are unclean. Since the God who made our bodies desires us to be in health, He has given us these instructions to preserve our health.
12. Do these health principles apply to New Testament Christians, or are they only for the Jews? I Corinthians 9:27.
MY BIBLE SAYS: "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."
13. What does the Bible say will happen to those who continue to rebel against God by defiling their bodies in certain respects, although they know better? Isaiah 66:17
MY BIBLE SAYS: "Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves, to go to the gardens after an idol in the midst, eating swine's flesh and the abomination and the mouse, shall be consumed together, says the Lord:"
14. What Bible promise does God give to those who desire victory over physical habits that have defeated them for years? Philippians 4:13:
MY BIBLE SAYS: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
15. Where does all power for victory come from? How do I receive it? John 1:12
MY BIBLE SAYS: "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name."
Whatever your physical craving or habit—however great your desire or inclination—there is victory for you in Christ. Heaven's power is
available for you today. Our Lord may not take your craving or "taste** away immediately, but if you trust Him, relying on His promises, He will give you the victory.
MY DECISION: I choose to surrender my body as a temple for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. I choose to refrain from alcohol tobacco and unclean foods and give God glory in all I do.